Can we just throw out the studies and use some common sense here?
What are we doing to our babies?
In the beginning, God created man in His image. God created man complete with a foreskin. And what did God say? God said, “IT IS VERY GOOD.”
It is very good! Why is it so hard for us to understand that GOD created man in HIS image, and said, “It is very good!?” God created man WITH a foreskin and somehow we are forgetting that GOD said, “It is very good!” Do we not believe God’s own words? Do we not trust Him to have known what HE was doing when He created man with a foreskin?
The circumcision that God commanded in the old testament was not the same procedure that we know as our modern day circumcision. It was literally a “mark” in the flesh intended to be the sign of the Covenant. Not much was removed. God never intended to amputate such a valuable, useful, protective, and purposeful part of the body.
Even better, once Jesus fulfilled the Covenant of the Old Testament, the new sign of the Covenant became BAPTISM! Not circumcision! This is a great joy and a blessing!
We know from history that the original reason for our modern medical circumcision procedure (extreme amputation of the entire foreskin) was to curtail sexual experience and pleasure. That was the #1 reason it was done. Once that reason became a little lack-luster, medical professionals started scrounging around for so-called “potential medical benefits” to keep the tradition going. It became such an ingrained (and also lucrative) tradition that everyone willingly became brainwashed to think it was normal and good. We have become desensitized to the horrors of genital cutting simply because it is so widespread in this country and has been done for so long. No one wants to think that they have been abused or damaged, so they gladly accept the brainwashing and keep it going. Doing it to our children is the only way to prove that it was “okay” to do it to us in the first place.
In most other developed nations, this is simply not done. Babies are born with foreskins and are allowed to keep them! They are treated with bodily respect and integrity and are given the basic human right to their own divinely-created body. The “medically necessary” circumcision rates in most of these countries is so low, it’s hard to even numerate. These boys go on to grow and develop completely normally and then they get the bonus and added benefit of getting to enjoy their foreskin for the rest of their lives! People in other countries where infant genital cutting is in no way normal or accepted, they are shocked and horrified to learn that it is common practice in the USA.
Here in the USA we are somehow convinced that out of all male mammals born on this planet (all of which are born with a foreskin/prepuce), only the American human infant male requires surgical amputation of the foreskin upon birth.
Foreskin is not a birth defect. ALL baby boys are born with a foreskin. God does not make mistakes. The foreskin is not God’s little mistake.
What are we doing to our babies?
Here are some new testament verses about circumcision to consider.
"As God has called each man, in this manner let him walk. And thus I command in all the churches. Was any man called in the circumcision [Old Covenant]? Let him not try to become uncircumcised. Has anyone been called in the uncircumcision [New Covenant in Christ]? Let him not be circumcised! Circumcision is nothing. And uncircumcision is nothing but the keeping of the commandments of God. Let each man remain in that condition in which he was called." - 1 Cor. 7:17
"And I testify again to every male who receives circumcision, that he is in debt to keep the whole Law. You who do so have been severed from Christ...you have fallen from grace." - Gal 5:3
"But if I still proclaim circumcision. . . then the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished." - Gal 5:11
"I wish that those who are pushing you to do so would mutilate themselves!" - Gal 5:12
"And even those who advocate circumcision don’t really keep the whole law. They only want you to be circumcised so they can brag about it and claim you as their disciples." – Gal 6:13
"Watch out for those wicked men – dangerous dogs, I call them – who say you must be circumcised. Beware of the evil doers. Beware of the mutilation. For it isn’t the cutting of our bodies that makes us children of God; it is worshiping him with our spirits." – Phil 3:2-3
“Behold, I, Paul, tell you that if you be circumcised, Christ will be of no advantage to you." – Gal 5:2
Lest you forget, we’re talking about cutting the genitals of defenseless babies without their consent. In what other situation could this possibly be considered “okay.” How come it’s a jailable offense when done to baby girls, and yet condoned and recommended for all baby boys? All men are born with a foreskin. Just as all girls are born with clitoral hoods and labia. As a Christian, I trust that God, who is the creator of both our bodies, and of sex, knew what he was doing and didn't make a mistake on all baby boys ever born. No study in the world could convince me that this could ever be right. THROW OUT ALL THE IDIOTIC STUDIES. How could we even consider “studying” such a horrifying tradition!? Why would anyone WANT to “justify” this?
After having removed myself from the culture of “it’s normal, everyone does it, every man is circumcised, it’s harmless, it’s just what we do, it’s just what we’ve always done.” I can no longer even begin to understand how we got here.
What are we doing to our babies?
Using logic, common sense, and reading the Bible makes this clear. How can the cutting of a baby’s genitals be so normal and accepted!? How did we become so desensitized to this violation of our children?
My favorite Bible verse about this topic is:
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. -Psalm 139:13-14
- God does not make mistakes.
- We are told that God KNIT babies together in the womb of their mother, and that we are wonderfully made, and that HIS works are wonderful. So why do we have the right to alter His wonderful handiwork within moments/hours of birth? (Or even days, weeks, or months.)
- All baby boys are born with foreskins. They are not a birth defect.
- Every male mammal on the planet is born with a foreskin/prepuce. Why would infant, human, American males be the only mammal on the planet to need surgical correction upon birth?
- If you cut off any limb or organ from a non-consenting individual without medical need, it is considered malpractice and abuse.
- The penis is the only part of an infant’s body that is not protected from unnecessary surgery. Where are the medical ethics!?
- If you were to circumcise a baby girl, it would be a federal violation.
- If you were to circumcise a dog, you would be charged with animal abuse.
- If you were to circumcise a corpse, it would be a federal offense.
- If it’s so obviously wrong to do to baby girls, dogs, and corpses; WHAT are we doing to our baby boys!?
- Our current practice of modern medical circumcision began during the Victorian era specifically intended to alter normal sexual function, reduce sexual experience, and reduce sexual pleasure.
- We are talking about cutting the genitals of babies. Without their permission. It is excruciatingly painful and completely unnecessary and permanently scars their body, alters their sexual function, and reduces their sexual pleasure.
- We should not be doing ANY “studies” to prove such an abhorrent thing should even be considered. Forget the studies. Get back to basics. Think logically. Think critically.